03 November

I begin to feel warlike, too

Liverpool, Novr. 3rd, 1855

Dearest,

I received your letter a week ago, telling me of your woeful passage and late arrival. It I had thought how much you were to suffer on the voyage, I never could have consented to thy departure; hut I hope thou art now flourishing in the southern sunshine, and I am sure it would have heen a dreadful matter for thee to, remain in such weather as we have lately had. But I do so long to see thee! If it were not for Julian, I do not think I could hear it at all. He is really a great comfort and joy to me, and rather unexpectedly so; for I must confess .I wished to keep him here on his own account and thine, much more than on my own. We live together in great love and harmony, the best friends in the world. He has begun to go to dancing-school; and I have heard of a drawing-master for him, but do not yet let him take lessons, because they might interfere1 with his clay-school, should we conclude to send him thither His health and spirits seem now to he perfectly good; and I think he is heneritted by a greater regularity of eating than when at home. He never has anything between meals, and seems not to want anything. Mrs. Blodgett, Miss Williams, and their niece, all take motherly care of him, combing his wool, and seeing that he looks clean and gentle manly as a Consul's son ought to do. Since the war-cloud has begun to darken over us, he insists on buckling on his sword the moment he is dressed, and never lays it aside till he is ready to go to bed after drawing it, and making blows and thrusts at Miss Williams's tom-cat, for lack of a better antagonist. I trust England and America will have fought out their warfare before his worship s beard begins to sprout; else he will pester us by going forth to battle.

I crossed over to Kock Ferry, a few days ago; and thou canst not imagine the disgust and horror with which I greeted that abominable old pier. The atmosphere of the river absolutely sawed me asunder. If we had been wise enough to avoid the river, I believe thou wouldst have found the climate of England quire another thing; for though we have had very bad weather for weeks past, the air of the town has nothing like the malevolence of that of the river, Mrs. Hantress is quite well, and inquires very affectionately about thee, and the children, and Fanny. Mrs. Watson crossed in th? same boat with me. She has taken a house at Cloughton, and was now going over to deliver up the keys of the Rock Ferry house. I forgot to inquire about Miss Sheppard, and do not know whether she has succeeded in letting our house.

I dined at Mr. Brian's on Thursday evening. Of course, there were the usual expressions of interest in thy welfare; and Annie desired to be remembered to Una. Mr. Channing called on me, a few days since. He has just brought his family from Southport, where They have been spending sex era! weeks. Our conversation was chiefly on the subject of the approaching war; for there has suddenly come up a mysterious rumor and ominous disturbance of all mens' spirits, as black and awful as a thunder-gust. So far as I can ascertain, Mr. Buchanan considers the aspect of affairs very serious indeed; and a letter, said to be written with his privity, was communicated to the Americans here, telling of the breach of treaties, and a determination on the part of the British Government to force us into war. It will need no great force, however, if the Yankees are half so patriotic at home, as we on this side of the water. We hold the fate of England in our hands, and it is time we crushed her blind, ridiculous, old lump of beef, sodden in strong beer, that she is; not but what she has still vitality enough to do us a good deal of mischief, before we quite annihilate her.

At Mr. Brian's table, for the first time, I heard the expression of a fear that the French alliance was going to be ruinous to England, and that Louis Napoleon was getting his arm too closely about the neck of Britannia, insomuch that the old lady will soon find herself short of breath. I think so indeed! He is at the bottom of these present commotions.

One good effect of a war would be, that I should speedily be warned out of England, and should betake myself to Lisbon. But how are we to get home? Luckily, I don t care much about getting home at all; and we will be cosmopolites, and pitch our tent in any peaceable and pleasant spot we can rind, and perhaps get back to Concord by the time our larch-trees have ten years growth. Dost thou like this prospect?

What a beautiful letter was thine! I do think nobod else ever wrote such letters, so magically descriptive and narrative. I have read it over and over and over to myself, and aloud to. Julian, whose face shone as he listened. By-the-by, I meant that he should have written a letter to accompany this; hut this is his dancingschool day, and I did not bring hinl to the Consulate. One packet of letters, intended for Lisbon, has mysteriously vanished; and I cannot imagine what has become of it, unless it were slipt by mistake into Ticknor's letter-bag, and so went to America by the last steamer. It contained a letter from thy sister Elizabeth, one from Julian, and myself, and, I believe, one from Mr. Dixon.

Did you pay a bill (of between one or two pounds) of Frisbie, Dyke & Co.? I inquired in my last about Mr. Western's bill for coals.

Do not stint thyself on the score of expenses, but live and dress and spend like a lady of station. It is entirely reasonable and necessary that thou shouldst. Send Una to whatever schools, and let her take whatever lessons, thou deemest good.

Kiss Una; kiss naughty little Rosebud. Give my individual love to everybody.

THINE OWN, OWNEST, OWNESTEST.


P.S. Since writing the above, Mr. Charming has been in, and thon wouldst be (as I am) at once confounded and delighted to hear the war like rone in which he talks. He thinks that the Government of England is trying to force us into a war and he says, in so many words, "LET IT COME!!!"; He is already considering how he is to get home, and says that he feels ready to enlist; and he breathes blood and vengeance, against whomsoever shall molest our shores. Huzza! Huzza! I begin to feel warlike, too. There was a rumor yesterday, that our minister had demanded his passports; and I am mistaken in Frank Pierce if Mr. Crampton has not already been ejected from Washington.

No doubt O'Sullivan's despatches will enable him to give thee more authentic intelligence than I possess as to the real prospects.

N. H.

No comments: