30 November

Let your soul lean upon my love

Custom- House, Novr. 30th [1839]

Mine Own Dove,

You will have received my letter, dearest, ere now, and I trust that it will have conveyed the peace of my own heart into yours; for my heart is too calm and peaceful in the sense of our mutual love, to be disturbed even by my sweetest wife's disquietude. Belovedest and blessedest, I cannot feel anything but comfort in you. Rest quietly on my deep, deep, deepest affection. You deserve it all, and infinitely more than all, were it only for the happiness you give me. I apprehended that this cup could not pass from you, without your tasting bitterness among its dregs. You have been too calm, my beloved you have exhausted your strength. Let your soul lean upon my love, till we meet again -- then all your troubles shall be hushed.

Your ownest, happiest,

DEODATUS.

No comments: