27 January

There is a superfluity of newspaper puffs here

Salem, Jany. 27th, 1841 1/2 past 2 P.M.

Very dearest, what a dismal sky is this that hangs over us! Thy husband doth but half live to-day his soul lies asleep, or rather torpid. As for thee, thou hast been prating at a great rate, and has spoken many wonderful truths in to-day's conversation.

Belovedest, thou wast very sweet and lovely in our walk yesterday morning; and it gladdens me much that Providence brought us together. Dost thou not think that there is always some espeeial blessing granted us, when we are to be divided for any length of time? Thou rememberest what a blissful evening came down from Heaven to us, betore our last separation; insomuch that our hearts glowed with its influence, all through the ensuing week. And yesterday there came a heavenly morning, and thou earnest with it like a rosy vision, which still lingers with me, and will not quite fade away, till it be time for it to brighten into reality. Surely, thou art beloved of Heaven, and all these blessings are vouchsafed tor thy sake; for I do not remember that such things used to happen to me, while 1 was a solitary sinner. Thou bringest a rich portion to thy husband, dearest even the blessing of thy Heavenly Father.

Whenever I return to Salem, I feel how dark my life would be. without the light that thou shedst upon it how cold, without the warmth of thy love. Sitting in this chamber, where my youth wasted itself in vain, I can partly estimate the change that has been wrought. It seems as if the better part of me had been born, since then. I had walked those many years in darkness, and might so have walked through life, with only a dreamy notion that there was any light in the universe, it thou hadst not kissed mine eye-lids, and given me to see. Thou, belovedest, hast always been positively happy. Not so thy husband he has only been not miserable. Then which of us has gained the most? Thy husband, assuredly.

When a beam of heavenly sunshine incorporates itself with a dark cloud, is not the cloud benefitted more than the sunshine? What a happy image is this! -- my soul is the cloud, and thine the sunshine -- but a gentler, softer sunshine than ever melted into any other cloud.

Dearest wife, nothing at all has happened to me, since I left thee. It puzzles me to conceive how thou meetest with so many more events than thy husband. Thou wilt have a volume to tell me, when we meet, and wilt pour thy beloved voice into mine ears, in a stream of two hours long. At length thou wilt pause, and say -- "But what has thy life been?" -- and then will thy stupid husband look back upon what he calls his life, tor three or tour days past, and behold a blank! Thou livest ten times as much [as] he; because thy spirit takes so much more note of things.

I met our friend Mr. Howes in the street, yesterday, and held a brief confabulation. He did not inquire how my wife's health is. Was not this a sin against etiquette? Dearest, thy husband's stupid book seems to meet more approbation here, than the former volume did -- though that was greeted more favorably than it deserved. There is a superfluity of newspaper puffs here, and a deficiency in Boston, where they are much needed. I ought to love Salem better than I do; for the people have always had a pretty generous faith in me, ever since they knew me at all. I fear I must be undeserving of their praise, else I should never get it. . . What an ungrateful blockhead thy husband is!

Miss Sophia A. Peabody,
Care of Dr. N. Peabody,
Boston, Mass.

1 comment:

Rob Velella said...

It's fascinating to me that Hawthorne actually wrote like this in his (very) personal correspondence. He really does seem to be of a different epoch. Still, these letters also confirm one thing for me: that the Hawthorne's were one of the most in love couples of the 19th century. And this part was beautiful:

"When a beam of heavenly sunshine incorporates itself with a dark cloud, is not the cloud benefitted more than the sunshine? What a happy image is this! -- my soul is the cloud, and thine the sunshine -- but a gentler, softer sunshine than ever melted into any other cloud."

Thank you so much for pulling me deeper into Hawthorne's life!