23 January

A phantom of the old royal governors, or some such shadowy pageant, on the night of the evacuation of Boston by the British.

(These passages were written in Hawthorne's American Note-Books in 1840, but no specific date is given.)

The love of posterity is a consequence of the necessity of death. If a man were sure of living for ever here, he would not care about his offspring.

The device of a sun-dial for a monument over a grave, with some suitable motto.

A man with the right perception of things,-- feeling within him of what is true and what is false. It might be symbolized by the talisman with which, in fairy tales, an adventurer was enabled to distinguish enchantments from realities.

A phantom of the old royal governors, or some such shadowy pageant, on the night of the evacuation of Boston by the British.

---- taking my likeness, I said that such changes would come over my face that she would not know me when we met again in heaven. "See if I do not!" said she, smiling. There was the most peculiar and beautiful humour in the point itself, and in her manner, that can be imagined.

Little F. H - used to look into E's mouth to see where her smiles came from.

"There is no Measure for Measure to my affections. If the earth fails me, I can die, and go to God," said ----.

Selfishness is one of the qualities apt to inspire love. This might be thought out at great length.

No comments: