03 October

"Mate not thyself with a Dove, unless thou hast wings to fly."

Boston, October 3rd, 1839. 1/2 past 7 P.M.

Ownest Dove:

Did you get home safe and sound, and with a quiet and happy heart? Providence acted lovingly toward us on Tuesday evening, allowing us to meet in the wide desert of this world, and mingle our spirits. It would have seemed all a vision then, now we have the symbol of its reality. You looked like a vision, beautifullest wife, with the width of the room between us so spiritual that my human heart wanted to be assured that you had an earthly vesture on. What beautiful white doves those were, on the border of the vase; are they of mine own Dove s kindred? Do you remember a story of a cat who was changed into a lovely lady? and on her bridal night, a mouse happened to run across the floor; and forthwith the cat-wife leaped out of bed to catch it. What if mine own Dove, in some woeful hour for her poor husband, should remember her dove-instincts, and spread her wings upon the western breeze, and return to him no more! Then would lie wretch out his arms, poor windless biped, not having the wherewithal to fly, and say aloud -- "Come back, naughty Dove! whither are you going?-- come back, and told your wings upon my heart again, or it will freeze!" And the Dove would flutter her wings, and pause a moment in the air, meditating whether or no she should come back: for in truth, as her conscience would tell her, this poor mortal had given her all he had to give a resting-place on his bosom -- a home in his deepest heart. But then she would say to herself -- "my home is in the gladsome air and it I need a resting-place, I can find one on any of the sunset-clouds. He is unreasonable to call me back; but if he can follow me, he may!" Then would the poor deserted husband do his best to fly in pursuit of the faithless Dove; and for that purpose would ascend to the topmast of a salt-ship, and leap desperately into the air, and fall down head-foremost upon the deck, and break his neck. And there should be engraven on his tombstone -- "Mate not thyself with a Dove, unless thou hast wings to fly."

Now will my Dove scold at me for this foolish flight of fancy; but the fact is, my goose quill flew away with me. I do think that I have gotten a bunch of quills from the silliest flock of geese on earth. But the rest of the letter shall he very sensible. I saw Mr. Howes in the readingroom of Athenaeum, between one and two o'clock to-day; for I happened to have had leisure for an early dinner, and so was spending a halfhour turning over the periodicals. He spoke of the long time since your husband had been at his house; and so I promised, on behalf of that respectable personage, that he would spend an evening there on his next visit to Salem. But if I had such a sweetest wife as your husband has, I doubt whether I could find it in his heart to keep the engagement. Now, good night, truest Dove in the world. You will never fly away from me; and it is only the infinite impossibility of it that enables me to sport with the idea.

Dearest, there was an illegible word in your yesterday's note. I have pored over it, but can not make it out. Your words are too precious to be thus hidden under their own vesture. Goodnight, wife!

Editor's note: Hawthorne continues the letter the following day.

No comments: