19 March

I have made a great blot

To Sophia Peabody, Salem, 18-19 March 1841

Dearest wife, here is thy poor husband, enduring his banishment as best he may. Methinks all emormous sinners should be sent on pilgrimage to Salem, and compelled to spend a length of time there, proportioned to the enormity of their of fenses. Such a punishment would he suited to sinners that do not quite deserve hanging, yet are too aggravated for the States-Prison. Oh, thy naughty husband! If it be a punishment, he well deserves to suffer a life-long infliction of it, were it only for slandering his native town so vilely. Thou must scold him well. But, belovedest, any place is strange and irksome to me, where thou art not; and where thou art, any place will be home. Here I have made a great blot, as thou seest; but, sweetest, there is, at this moment, a portrait of myself in the mirror of that inkspot. Is not that queer to think of? When it reaches thee, it will lie nothing but a dull black spot; but now, When I bend over it, there I see myself, as at the bottom of a pool. Thou must not kiss the blot, for the sake of the image which it now reflects: though, if thou shouldst, it will be a talisman to call me back thither again.

Thy husband writes thee nonsense, as his custom is. I wonder how thou manifest to retain any respect for him. Trust me, he is not worthy of thee -- not worthy to kiss the sole of thy shoe. For the future, thou perfectest Dove, let thy greatest condescension towards him, be merely an extension of the tip of thy forefinger, or of thy delicate little foot in its stocking. Nor let him dare to touch it without kneeling which he will be very ready to do. because he devoutly worships thee: which is the only tiling that can be said in his favor. But, think of his arrogance! At this very moment.

March 19th. Forenoon. Dearest soul, thou hast irrecoverably lost the conclusion of this sentence: for I was interrupted by a visitor, and have now forgotten what 1 meant to say. No matter; thou wilt not care for the loss; for, now I think of it, it does not please thee to hear thy husband spoken slightingly of. Well, then thou shouldst not have married such a vulnerable person. But, to thy comfort be it said, some people have a much more exalted opinion of him than I have. The Rev. Mr. Gannet delivered a lecture at the Lyceum here, the either evening, in which he introduced an enormous eulogium on whom dost thou think? Why, on thy respectable husband! Thereupon all the audience gave a loud hiss. Now is mv mild little Dove exceedingly enraged, and will plot some mischief and all-involving calamity against the Salem people. Well, belovedest, they did not actually hiss at the praises bestowed on thy husband the more fools they!

Ownest wife, what dost thou think I received, just before I re-commenced this scribble? Thy letter! Dearest, I felt as thou didst about our meeting, at Mrs. Hillard's. It is an inexpressible torment. Thy letter is very sweet and beautiful - an expression of thyself. But 1 do trust thou hast given Mr. Ripley a downright scolding for doubting either my will or ability to work. He ought to be ashamed of himself, to try to take away the good name of a laboring man, who must earn his bread (and thy bread too) by the sweat of his brow.

Sweetest, I have some business up in town; and so must close this letter which has been written in a great hurry, and is not rit to be sent thee. Say what thou wilt, thy husband is not a good letter-writer; he never writes, unless compelled by an internally or external necessity; and most glad would he be to think that there would never, henceforth, he occasion tor his addressing a letter to thee. For would not that imply that thou wouldst always hereafter he close to his bosom?

Dearest love, expect me Monday evening. Didst thou expect me sooner? It may not be; but if longing desires could bear me to thee, thou wouldst straightway behold my shape in the great easy chair, God bless thee, thou sinless Eve thou dearest, sweetest, purest, perfectest wife.

THINE OWNEST.

No comments: