10 March

I am compelled to write in a barroom with people talking and drinking around me

Albany, March 10th, 1842

Mine own Heart, I arrived here early this morning, by the steamboat; and thou mayst be well assured that I lost no time in going to the Post Office; and never did even a letter from thee so thrill my heart as this. There is no expressing what I feel; and so I will not try especially now when I am compelled to write in a barroom with people talking and drinking around me. But I love thee a thousand infinities more than ever.

Most dear, I have come hither to see Mr. O Sullivan, with whom I have relations of business as well as friendship, all which thou shalt know, if thou thinkest them worth enquiring about. The good colonel is with me; but is going about a hundred miles into the interior, tomorrow. In the meantime I shall remain here; but thou wilt see me again on Tuesday evening. How is it possible to wait so long? It is not possible yet I have much to talk of with O Sullivan; and this will be the longest absence that we shall be compelled to endure, before the time when thou shalt. be the companion of all my journeys.

Truest wife, it is possible that the cars may not arrive in Boston till late in the evening; but I have good hope to be with thee by six o clock, or a little after, on Tuesday. God bless us.

THINE OWNEST,

Miss Sophia A. Peabody,
Care of Dr. N. Peabody,
Boston, Mass.

No comments: