20 March

I long to see thee and our children

TO MRS. HAWTHORNE, 20 March 1847, Saturday

Ownest Wife,

Thy letter of Thursday did not reach me till this morning. Ellery [William Ellery Channing] goes to-day much to my satisfaction, though we have had a good time. Thou dost not know how much I long to see thee and our children. I never felt anything like it before it is too much to write about.

I do not think I can come on Monday before 10 1/2 , arriving in Boston at about 11. It is no matter about the session at Johnson’s; and if thou choosest to give him notice, so be it.

Now that the days are so long, would it not do to leave Boston, on our return, at 1/2 past 4? Kiss Una for me likewise Bundlebreech.

THY HUSBAND.

P.S. Of course, my coming on Monday must be contingent on reasonably pleasant weather.

I shall probably go to Johnson's immediately after my arrival before coming to West-street. I hope he will be otherwise engaged.

Mrs. Sophia A. Hawthorne, Care of Dr. N. Peabody, Boston, Massachusetts.

No comments: