13 April

Here I am in a polar Paradise!

BROOK FARM, OAK HILL, April 13th, 1841

Here I am in a polar Paradise! I know not how to interpret this aspect of nature, whether it be of good or evil omen to our enterprise. But I reflect that the Plymouth Pilgrims arrived in the midst of storm, and stepped ashore upon mountain snow drifts; and, nevertheless, they prospered, and became a great people, and doubtless it will be the same with us. I laud my stars, however, that you will not have your first impressions of (perhaps) our future home from such a day as this... Through faith, I persist in believing that Spring and Summer will come in their due season; but the unregenerated man shivers within me, and suggests a doubt whether I may not have wandered within the precincts of the Arctic Circle, and chosen my heritage among everlasting snows... Provide yourself with a good stock of furs, and if you can obtain the skin of a polar bear, you will find it a very suitable summer dress for this region...

I have not yet taken my first lesson in agriculture, except that I went to see our cows foddered yesterday afternoon. We have eight of our own; and the number is now increased by a transcendental heifer belonging to Miss Margaret Fuller. She is very fractious, I believe, and apt to kick over the milkpail... I intend to convert myself into a milkmaid this evening, but I pray Heaven that Mr. Ripley may be moved to assign me the kindliest cow in the herd, otherwise I shall perform my duty with fear and trembling...

I like my brethren in affliction very well; and, could you see us sitting round our table at meal times, before the great kitchen fire, you would call it a cheerful sight. Mrs. B - is a most comfortable woman to behold. She looks as if her ample person were stuffed full of tenderness, indeed, as if she were all one great kind heart...

No comments: