25 April

I love thee. I love thee.

54 Pinckney St., Monday, 11 o'clock A.M. [1842]

Most dear love,

I have been caught by a personage who has been in search of me for two or three days, and shall be compelled to devote this unfortunate evening to him, instead of to my Dove. Dost thou regret it? -- so does thy poor husband, who loves thee infinitely, and needs thee continually. Art thou well to-day very dearest? How naughty was I, last night, to contend against thy magnetic influence, and turn it against thyself! I will not do so again. My head has been in pain for thine -- at least my heart has. Thou wast very sweet and lovely, last night -- so art thou always.

Belovedest, thou knowest not how I yearn for thee -- how I long and pray for the time when we may be together without disturbance -- when absence shall be a rare exception to our daily life. My heart will blossom like a rose, when it can be always under thy daily influence when the dew of thy love will he falling upon it, every moment.

Most sweet, lest I should not be able to avoid another engagement for tomorrow evening, I think it best for me to come in the afternoon shortly after two o clock, on Tuesday. Canst thou devote so much of thy precious day to my unworthiness? Unless I hear from thee, I shall come. I love thee. I love thee.

Dearest, I kiss thee with my whole spirit.

Thy husband,

THEODORE DE L'AUBEPINE.
Miss Sophia A. Peabody,
Care of Dr. N. Peabody,
Boston, Mass.


No comments: