07 April

the wind has blown my brains into such confusion

April 7th 1840

It appears to me to have been the most uncomfortable day that ever was inflicted on poor mortals. . . . Besides the bleak, unkindly air, I have been plagued by two sets of coal-shovellers at the same time, and have been obliged to keep two separate tallies simultaneously. But I was conscious that all this was merely a vision and a phantasy, and that, in reality, I was not half frozen by the bitter blast, nor tormented by those grimy coalheavers, but that I was basking quietly in the sunshine of eternity. . . . Any sort of bodily and earthly torment may serve to make us sensible that we have a soul that is not within the jurisdiction of such shadowy demons, it separates the immortal within us from the mortal. But the wind has blown my brains into such confusion that I cannot philosophize now.

No comments: