19 April

You are beautiful, my own heart's Dove.

Friday, April 19th. [1839]

Your Wednesday's letter has come, dearest. Your letters delight me more than anything, save the sound of your voice; and I love dearly to write to you so be at peace on that score. You are beautiful, my own heart's Dove. Never doubt it again. I shall really and truly he very glad of the extracts; and they will have a charm for me that could not otherwise have been. I will imagine your voice repeating them, tremulously. The spell which you laid upon my brow will retain its power till we meet again -- then it must be renewed.

What a beautiful day and I had a double enjoyment of it, for your sake and my own. I have been to walk this afternoon, to Bunker's Hill and the Navy Yard, and am tired, because I had not your arm to support me.

God keep you from East winds and every other evil.

Mine own Dove's own Friend,

N. H.

1/2 past 5 P. M.

Miss Sophia A. Peabody,
Salem, Mass.

No comments: