24 June

he wants to think about thee, and embrace thee a thousand million times deep within himself.

Boston, June 24th. past 8 o clock P. M. [1842]

Mine ownest,

I have just received thy letter, and rejoice unspeakably at the news which thou tellest me. Dearest, thou knowest not how I have yearned for thee during thy absence; and yet thou didst seem so well and happy there, that I sent thee a letter, yesterday morning, submitting it to thy wisdom whether thou hadst not better stay another week. But thou hast done more wisely to come; for my heart is faint with hunger for thee. I have been quite sad and dolorous at thy absence. And oh, what joy to think that henceforth there shall be no long separations for us. It has taken me so by surprise that I know not what to say upon the subject; but my heart throbs mightily.

Dearest, thou canst not have a long letter tonight, because thy husband is weary, and more over he wants to think about thee, and embrace thee a thousand million times deep within himself.

Art thou quite well? Most beloved, I beseech [thee] not to agitate thyself in this removal of the household gods. I shall come on Saturday, but perhaps not till late. God bless and keep thee.

Thine ownest, lovingest husband,

DE l'AUBEPINE,

Miss Sophia A. Peabody,
Care of Dr. N. Peabody,
Salem, Mass.

No comments: