02 June

so that the old castle is sufficiently provisioned to stand a long siege.

Concord. The old Manse. June 2nd.-- [1844] . . . Everything goes on well with me. At the time of writing my last letter I was without bread. Well, just at supper-time came Mrs. B---- with a large covered dish, which proved to contain a quantity of specially good flapjacks, piping hot, prepared, I suppose, by the fair hands of Miss Martha, or Miss Abby, for Mrs. P---- was not at home. They served me both for supper and breakfast; and I thanked Providence and the young ladies, and compared myself to the prophet fed by ravens, though the simile does rather more than justice to myself, and not enough to the generous donors of the flapjacks. The next morning, Mrs. P---- herself brought two big loaves of bread, which will last me a week, unless I have some guests to provide for. I have likewise found a hoard of crackers in one of the covered dishes; so that the old castle is sufficiently provisioned to stand a long siege. The corned beef is exquisitely done, and as tender as a young lady's heart, all owing to my skilful cookery; for I consulted Mrs. Hale at every step, and precisely followed her directions. To say the truth, I look upon it as such a masterpiece in its way, that it seems irreverential to eat it. Things on which so much thought and labour are bestowed should surely be immortal Leo and I attended divine services this morning in a temple not made with hands. We went to the farthest extremity of Peter's path, and there lay together under an oak, on the verge of the broad meadow.

No comments: