04 August

I gratified J---- exceedingly by hitting my nose against the wall.

August 4th [1858]

We ascended our tower yesterday afternoon to see the sunset. In my first sketch of the Val d'Arno I said that the Arno seemed to hold its course near the bases of the hills. I now observe that the line of trees which marks its current divides the valley into two pretty equal parts, and the river runs nearly east and west. At last, when it was growing dark, we went down, groping our way over the shaky staircases, and peeping into each dark chamber as we passed, I gratified J---- exceedingly by hitting my nose against the wall. Reaching the bottom, I went into the great saloon, and stood at a window watching the lights twinkle forth, near and far, in the valley, and listening to the convent bells that sounded from Monte Olivette, and more remotely still. The stars came out, and the constellation of the Dipper hung exactly over the Val d'Arno, pointing to the north star above the hills on my right.

No comments: