21 August

You are my first hope and my last.

Boston, August 21st, 1839

My dearest will be glad to know that her husband has not had to endure the heavy sunshine this afternoon; -- he came home at three o'clock or thereabout, and locking the door, betook himself to sleep first ensuring himself sweet slumber and blissful dreams (it any dreams should come) by reperusing his sweet wife's letter. His wife was with him at the moment of falling asleep, and at the moment of awaking; but she stole away from him during the interval. Naughty wife! Nevertheless, he has slept and is refreshed slept how long he does not know; but the sun has made a far progress downward, since he closed his eyes.

Oh, my wife, if it were possible that you should vanish from me, I feel and know that my soul would be solitary forever and ever. I almost think that there would be no "forever" for me. I could not encounter such a desolate Eternity, were you to leave me. You are my first hope and my last.

If you fail me (hut there is no such if) I might toil onward through this life without much out ward change, hut I should sink down and die utterly upon the threshold of the dreary Future. Were you to find yourself deceived, you would he take yourself at once to God and Heaven, in the certainty of there finding a thousand-fold recompense for all earthly disappointment; but with me, it seems as if hope and happiness would he torn up by the roots, and could never bloom again, neither in this soil nor the soil of Paradise.

No comments: