03 September

All my contemporaries have grown the funniest old men in the world.

Portsmouth, Sept. 3rd, 1852

Ownest Phoebe,

I left Brunswick Wednesday night and arrived here yesterday, with Pierce. My adventures thou shalt know when I return, and how I was celebrated by orators and poets and how, by the grace of Divine Providence, I was not present, to be put to the blush. All my contemporaries have grown the funniest old men in the world. Am I a funny old man?

I am going to cross over to the Isle of Shoals, this forenoon, and intend to spend several days there, until I get saturated with sea-breezes.

I love thee very much-est; -- likewise, the children are very pleasant to think of. Kiss Una -- Kiss Julian -- Kiss Rosebud -- for me! Kiss thyself, if thou canst and I wish thou wouldst kiss me.

A boat passes between Portsmouth and the Isle of Shoals, every forenoon; and a letter, I presume, would reach me in case of necessity.

I long to see thee. It is breakfast time.

Thine ownest

N. HAWTHORNE.
Mrs. Sophia A. Hawthorne,
Concord, Massachusetts.

No comments: