23 September

I do wish the weather would put off this sulky mood.

Septr. 23rd -- Before breakfast. Sweetest wife, hou hast not written to me. Nevertheless, I do or conclude thee to be sick, but will believe that thou hast been busy in creating Laura Bridgman. What a faithful and attentive husband thou hast! ...

Belovedest, I do wish the weather would put off this sulky mood. Had it not been for the warmth and brightness of Monday, when I arived here, I should have supposed that all sunshine had left Brook Farm forever. I have no disposition to take long walks, in such a state of the sky; nor have I any buoyancy of spirit. Thy husband is a very dull person, just at this time. I suspect he wants thee. It is his purpose, I believe, either to walk or ride to Boston, about the end of | next week, and give thee a kiss -- after which he will return quietly and contentedly to the farm. Oh, what joy, when he will again see thee every day!

We had some tableaux last night. They were very stupid, (as, indeed, was the case with all I have ever seen) but do not thou tell Mrs. Ripley so. She is a pood woman, and I like her better than I did her husband keeps his old place in my judgment. Farewell, thou gentlest Dove -- thou perfectest woman --

THINE OWNEST HUSBAND.

Miss Sophia A. Peabody,
Boston, Mass.

No comments: