04 September

Oh that I could run wild! -- that is, that I could put myself into a true relation with Nature

September 4th. [1842] I made a voyage in the "Pond-Lily" all by myself yesterday morning, and was much encouraged by my success in causing the boat to go whither I would. I have always liked to be afloat, but I think I have never adequately conceived of the enjoyment till now, when I begin to feel a power over that which supports me. I suppose I must have felt something like this sense of triumph when I first learnt to swim; but I have forgotten it. Oh that I could run wild! -- that is, that I could put myself into a true relation with Nature, and be on friendly terms with all congenial elements.

We had a thunder-storm last evening; and to-day has been a cool, breezy, autumnal day, such as my soul and body love

No comments: