24 July

Are we not married? God knows we are.

Boston, July 24th, 1839 8 o'clock P. M.

Mine own,

I am tired this evening, as usual, with my long day's toil; and my head wants its pillow and my soul yearns for the friend whom God has given it -- whose soul He has married to my soul. Oh, my dearest, how that thought thrills me! We are married! I felt it long ago; and sometimes, when I was seeking for some fondest word, it has been on my lips to call you "Wife"! I hardly know what restrained me from speaking it unless a dread (for that would have been an infinite pang to me) of feeling you shrink back, and there by discovering that there was yet a" deep place in your soul which did not know me. Mine own
Dove, need I fear it now? Are we not married? God knows we are. Often, I have silently given myself to you, and received you for my portion of human love and happiness, and have prayed Him to consecrate and bless the union. Yes -- we are married; and as (God Himself has joined us, we may trust never to be separated, neither in Heaven nor on Earth. We will wait patiently and quietly, and He will lead us onward hand in hand (as He has done all along) like little children, and will guide us to our perfect happiness and will teach us when our union is to be revealed to the world. My beloved, why should we be silent to one another why should our lips be silent an) longer on this subject? The world might, as yet, misjudge us; and therefore we will not speak to the world; but why should we not commune together about all our hopes of earthly and external as well as our faith of inward and eternal union? Farewell for tonight, my dearest my soul's bride!

[continued the next day]

No comments: