26 July

How strange, that the best weather I have ever known should have come to us on these English coasts!

Liverpool, July 26th, '54

Dearest Wife,

We had the pleasantest passage, yesterday, that can he conceived of. How strange, that the best weather I have ever known should have come to us on these English coasts!

I enclose some letters from the O'Sullivan's, whereby you will see that they have come to a true appreciation of Mr. Cecil's merits. They say nothing of his departure; but I shall live in daily terror of his arrival.

I hardly think it worth while for me to return to the island, this summer; that is, unless you conclude to stay longer than a week from this time. Do so, by all means, if you think the residence will benefit either yourself or the children, Or it would be easy to return thither, should it seem desirable or to go somewhere else. Tell me what day you fix upon for leaving; and I will either await you in person at the landing-place, or send Henry. Do not start, unless the weather promises to be favorable, even though you should be all read) to go on board.

I think you should give something to the servants -- those of them, at least, who have taken any particular pains with you. Michael asked me for something, but I told hifm that I should probably be back again; so you must pay him my debts and your own too.

It is very lonesome at Hock Ferry, and I long to have you all back again. Give my love to the children.

THINE OWNEST.

No comments: