29 July

Now, my intellect, and my heart and soul, have no share in my present mode of life

July 29th. 8 o'clock, P.M. How does my Dove contrive to live and, thrive, and keep her heart in cheerful trim, through a whole fortnight, with only one letter from me? It cannot be indifference; so it must be heroism and how heroic! It does seem to me that my spirit would droop and wither like a plant that lacked rain and view, if it were not for the frequent shower of your gentle and holy thoughts. But then there is such a difference in our situations. My Dove is at home -- not, indeed, in her home of homes -- but still in the midst of true affections; and she can live a spiritual life, spiritual and intellectual. Now, my intellect, and my heart and soul, have no share in my present mode of life -- they find neither labor nor food in it; everything that I do here might be better done by a machine. I am a machine, and am surrounded by hundreds of similar machines; or rather, all of the business people are so many wheels of one great machine and we have no more love or sympathy for one another than if we were made of wood, brass, or iron, like the wheels of other pieces of complicated machinery. Perchance but do not be frightened, dearest the soul would wither and die within me, leaving nothing but the busy machine, no germ for immortality, nothing that could taste of heaven, if it were not for the consciousness of your deep, deep love, which is renewed to me with every letter. Oh, my Dove, I have really thought sometimes, that God gave you to me to be the salvation of my soul. [rest of the letter missing]

No comments: