17 July

Imagine all that I cannot write.

Wednesday eveg. July 17th [1839]

My Dearest,

I did not know but you would like another little note and I think I feel a strange impulse to write, now that the whole correspondence devolves on me. And I wrote my other note in such a hurry, that I quite forgot to give you the praise which you so deserved, for hearing up so stoutly against the terrible misfortune of my non-appearance. Indeed, I do think my Dove is the strongest little dove that ever was created never did any creature live, who could feel so acutely, and yet endure so well.

This note must be a mere word, my beloved and I wish I could make it the very tenderest word that ever was spoken or written. Imagine all that I cannot write.

God bless you, mine own Dove, and make you quite well against I take you to your home -- which shall be on Saturday eveg, without tail. Till then, dearest, spend your time in happy thoughts and happy dreams and let my image he among them. Good bye, mine own Dove -- I have kissed that holy word.

YOUR OWN, OWN, OWNEST.

My Dove must not look for another note.

To Miss Sophia A. Peabody,
Care of Dr. N. Peabody,
Salem, Mass.

No comments: