12 July

Truly do I pity thee, cooped up in that hot and dusty house

Salem, July 12th, 1848

Dearest Phoebe, I enclose an advertisement of silks. Aunty 'Ouisa would like to have, you get some patterns of those which she has marked with a pencil. A letter from from Mrs. F. Shaw came for thee today; and I opened and read it. It contains nothing that requires thy immediate perusal; and as it is rather bulky, I do not send it. She is well, and so is Caroline Sturgis.

I hear great accounts of the canary birds, now exhibiting in Boston; and it seems to me thou mightest please Una very much by taking her to see them.

I need thee very much indeed, and shall heartily thank God when thou comest back to thine own home -- and thine ownest husband. What a wretched time thou art having on that infernal mattress -- -- Truly do I pity thee, cooped up in that hot and dusty house, such a day as this. Were it not for Dr. Wesselhoeft, I should think it best for thee to get away immediately.

Did Una remember me, when she waked up? -- and has little Bundlebreech wanted me? -- and dost thou thyself think of me with moderate kindness? Oh, Phoebe, it is too great a sacrifice this whole blank month in our wedded life. I want thee always.

THY LOVINGEST SPOUSE.

Mrs. Sophia A. Hawthorne,
Care of Dr. N. Peabody,
Boston, Massachusetts,

No comments: