16 May

but I find the same coldness and stiffness in my pen as always since our return to England.

31, HERTFORD STREET, MAYFAIR, May 16th, 1860.--

I came hither from Bath on the 14th, and am staying with my friends, Mr. and Mrs. Motley. I would gladly journalise some of my proceedings, and describe things and people; but I find the same coldness and stiffness in my pen as always since our return to England. I dined with the Motleys at Lord Dufferin's, on Monday evening, and there met, among a few other notable people, the Honourable Mrs. Norton, a dark, comely woman, who doubtless was once most charming, and still has charms, at above fifty years of age. In fact, I should not have taken her to be greatly above thirty, though she seems to use no art to make herself look younger, and talks about her time of life, without any squeamishness. Her voice is very agreeable, having a sort of muffled quality, which is excellent in woman. She is of a very cheerful temperament, and so has borne a great many troubles, without being destroyed by them. But I can get no colour into my sketch, so shall leave it here.

No comments: