29 May

I want to draw a little free breath.

Concord, May 29th, 1844

Ownest Wife,

Conolly is leaving me, to my unspeakable relief; for he has had a bad cold, which caused him to be much more troublesome, and less amusing, than might otherwise have been the case. Thy husband is in perfect health; and as happy in the prospect of being alone, as he would be in anything, except to be reunited to thee. I suppose I must invite Mr. Farley to come by-and-by; but not quite yet -- Oh, not quite yet -- it is so sweet to be alone. I want to draw a little free breath. Ah, why canst not thou be with me here and no Mary no nobody else! But our little Una! Should not she be of the party? Yes; we have linked a third spirit forever to our own; and there is no existing without her.

Dearest Phoebe, I do trust thou art well and at ease. Thou absolutely knowest not how I love thee. God bless thee, mine ownest God bless our daughter God bless thy husband God bless us altogether, and the whole world too.

I write in the greatest hurry.

THINE OWNEST HUSBAND.

No comments: