09 May

Thou hast no conception how melancholy our house can be.

Salem, May 9th, 1849

Dearest,

Thy letter was received last night. What a time thou hast! and I not there to help thee! I almost feel as if I ought to come every day; but then I should do so little good arriving at 4 o' clock; and the children going to bed at six or seven; and the expense is so considerable. If thou canst hold out till Friday, I shall endeavor to come in the afternoon and stay till Monday. But this must depend on arrangements hereafter to be made; so do not absolutely expect me be fore Saturday. Oh that Providence would bring all of you home, before then! This is a miserable time for me; more so than for thee, with all thy toil, and watchfulness and weariness. These sunless days are as sunless within as without. Thou hast no conception how melancholy our house can be. It absolutely chills my heart.

If it is necessary for me to come sooner, write by express. Give my love to Una and Julian, and tell them how much I miss them. God bless thee and them.

THINE OWNEST.

Mrs. Sophia A. Hawthorne,
Care of Dr. N.
Peabody,
13 West-street,
Boston.

No comments: